Poet Laureate Duties and Projects
- Two-Year Commitment: The position runs from April 2023 through March 2025.
- Project Autonomy: The Poet Laureate of Richmond will have the freedom to create and develop their own projects during their tenure. The primary goal is to promote poetry throughout the City of Richmond. Examples: serve as an honorary guest and read from their body of work at City-wide events, work with schools, library system, recreation or senior centers, and at community festivals. Coordination of activities will be with the Department of Human Services.
- Annual Honorarium: The Poet Laureate position will receive an annual honorarium of $4,000.00 per year ($8,000.00 in total for the 2 years).
- Applicant must be a resident of Richmond or the surrounding counties (Henrico, Chesterfield, Hanover, Goochland, New Kent) for the last 10 years.
- Applicant must at least 21 years old.
- Whether or not the applicant’s published their work or how they’ve published will not determine their eligibility. The selection process will give weight to the applicant’s commitment to the Richmond community and dedication to the craft of poetry.
We will receive applications from December 1, 2022 – February 1, 2023. Applications close promptly at 11:59p.m.
Please click THIS LINK to apply to be the Richmond City Poet Laureate for 2023 to 2025.
The application opens December 1st, 2022 and closes on February 1st, 2023.