Poet Laureate Duties and Projects
- Two-Year Commitment: The position runs from January 2021 through December 2023.
- Project Autonomy: The Poet Laureate of Richmond will have the freedom to create and develop their own projects during their tenure. The primary goal is to promote poetry throughout the City of Richmond. Examples: serve as an honorary guest and read from their body of work at City-wide events, work with schools, library system, recreation or senior centers, and at community festivals. Coordination of activities will be with the Department of Human Services.
- Annual Honorarium: The Poet Laureate position will receive annual honorarium of $4,000.00 per year.
- Applicant must be a resident of Richmond or the surrounding counties (Henrico, Chesterfield, Hanover, Goochland, New Kent) for the last 5 years.
- Applicant must at least 21 years old.
- Whether or not the applicant’s published their work or how they’ve published will not determine their eligibility. The selection process will give weight to the applicant’s commitment to the Richmond community and dedication to the craft of poetry.
We will receive applications from September 16 – November 5, 2020. Applications close promptly at 11:59 p.m.